Thursday, July 22, 2010

Clean Meatballs

This is a great way to get some protein into the little ones. My little guy loved it and it was super easy to modify to make it allergy friendly. It was shamelessly stolen (and slightly modified) from The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook

1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg (This was one of my only modifications - I used applesauce instead of egg)
1 cup oat bran or breadcrumbs (I have found bread to be super tricky as there is often sesame. I used wheat germ, but I have since found rice breadcrumbs that are basically allergen free)
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp basil, finely chopped
2 tbsp oregano, finely chopped 
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Preheat the oven to 400 F.


In a large bowl place egg (or applesauce) and breadcrumbs or oat bran. Add spices and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Using an ice cream scoop make meatballs and place on prepared cookie sheet. Place in hot oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. (I am super paranoid about meat, so I ended up adding about 5 minutes.)






No comments: