Saturday, April 03, 2010

A word about AFBH

In the previous post (Blueberry Coffee Cake) I mentioned that the recipe came from the book The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal. I really enjoy this cookbook. I haven't made many recipes but they all look very yummy and so far, I'm 2 for 3. (More on that later!) One note that I wanted to make is that Pascal mentions that there should be no modifications made to her recipes. I have broken the rules in that respect when it comes to wheat flour. I do not need to omit gluten from our cooking and therefore do not. So far, the cakes that I have made have turned out fantastic. Also, I have had to use a margarine that is not supposed to be used for baking because everything else contains soy.

I attempted cookies yesterday but the results were less than stellar. So for now, I'm still trying to work out the best combinations and will post both my successes AND my failures. I had a spectacular failure with the chocolate chip cookies. Yummy, but not presentable in the least. I think I will attempt a more traditional recipe next and use non-dairy milk and the egg replacer. I'm hoping that I'll still get to use the recipes from AFBH, but have to figure out the flour portions.

I'll keep you updated on how these attempts work out!

No comments: