Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easy Peasy Shepherd's Pie

This is shamelessly stolen from a Weight Watchers recipe, with mods to make it "K friendly." I was able to make it while K was in his high chair watching me - that is to say, quickly. I did use some short cuts, namely, frozen veggies. With a bit more prep time, this can be made from fresh ingredients.

Easy Peasy Shepherd's Pie


1/2 pound ground beef
1-2 tablespoons of flour
1-2 tablespoons of water
1 cup frozen corn (about that)
1 cup mediterranean chopped veggies (onions, peppers, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes)
1 bag of frozen, chopped potatoes (This is where the judgier amongst you cringe. Cringe away! I was all by myself with a hungry toddler. I did what I could!)
rice milk
olive oil

I preheated the oven to 375 F. That sounded like a good round number.

I cooked the ground beef until there were no signs of pink. Once it was cooked, I sprinkled in some flour and water to make a "gravy." I use quotes because it could hardly be considered a gravy, but at least it was saucy! I then added the frozen veggies. I let them cook for about 5 minutes. (tick, tock, tick, tock)

Meanwhile, I put the potatoes in the microwave. They took 11 minutes. (Please, keep in mind that hubby is out of town and I have a curious toddler who CLIMBS things. I can't take too long to cook. *bats eyelashes*).

When the potatoes were done, I put them in a bowl to mash them. I used rice milk (vanilla - YUM!) and olive oil to make them creamy. I eyeballed the amounts.

Then I put the beef mixture in a baking dish, topped with the potatoes and popped it in the oven for 25 minutes. 30 minutes would have been perfect.

For the record, I didn't wait for the oven part for the hungry little man. He will get those tomorrow! He recommends topping it all off with some applesauce. I'm hesitant to make that recommendation. ;)

No comments: