Thursday, February 18, 2010

MOMMY Post, beware! :)

"You don't want him to [insert next milestone here]. TRUST me. Once he starts [insert milestone here], it's all over. Just be glad he's not doing this yet."

Ok. All moms who say this - do you not remember how exciting it is when your child is on the cusp of rolling, crawling or walking? Or the fear that maybe your child is not development normally when he didn't sit up on his sixth month birthday? I feel so sad for mommies who excitedly tell their friends that little Johnny or Jill is on the verge of crawling only to have their bubble burst by their smug friends that their life is about to get more difficult and they should consider binding their child up in an attempt to stop them from progressing.

Yes, yes, I know. They are joking. They're not serious. But why must this "been there done that" attitude be de rigueur for so many moms? Yes, we know that you have a child and that you've already gone through all this with your little one, *yawn*. Part of the joy of motherhood (yes, I just used the phrase "joy of motherhood." I'm hanging my head in shame.) is all of the firsts - the anticipation, the build up, even the worry. I try to wrap my head around why some moms want to take that away from their newer compatriots, but I can't.

This is going to be a theme. I can feel it. I should just write one entry about smug mommies and be done with it. But what fun would that be? ;)

1 comment:

Morgan said...

You so need to start another blog about smug mommies! Do it!